Often when folks discuss Portland having nice meals, they’re referring to our superb restaurant scene. However native meals corporations are making their mark as effectively. Adam Rapoport of Bon Appétit Journal named Olympia Provisions “Best Charcuterie in America,” and everyone loves Salt & Straw.
These are the sorts of native meals and beverage companies the Oregon Entrepreneurs Community (OEN) sought to spice up at their first-ever Angel Meals Convention, which came about on June 19.
The large winner: A Cajun Life
The occasion featured talks by corporations at varied phases of the startup journey. Three corporations competed for a $155,000 funding from the OEN.
The winner was Our Life Meals, LLC, and its model A Cajun Life. The corporate was based by Chris Fontenot, a Louisiana native who moved to Portland to pursue new enterprise for Hershey, the place he labored for 9 years in gross sales. As with many nice Portland meals tales, A Cajun Life began as a meals cart. The portfolio now consists of seasonings, mixes, and boxed meals, and snacks are on the horizon.
Idea stage winners: Proud Label and Honey Palette
Six corporations on the idea stage pitched for 2 prize packages that included authorized providers, management teaching, workplace house, a design session, and shelf house at native grocery shops Inexperienced Zebra, Market of Selection, and New Seasons. The winners had been Proud Label and Honey Palette.
Based by Laura Taylor, Proud Label makes plant-based dips to assist get youngsters to eat their veggies. The dips are shiny and colourful, created from natural substances, and supply a nutrient-dense snack.
Honey Palette is a bakery based mostly on the concept that “everyone deserves dessert,” even individuals who can’t or don’t select to eat gluten, grain, sugar, dairy, soy, or nuts.
Developments to look at
The merchandise on the meals truthful present perception into present and rising traits within the meals house. Clear label was a given — even the cheesy puffs might declare clear label standing! Listed below are just a few of the opposite up-and-coming traits the merchandise illustrated.
Useful meals and drinks
Customers as we speak need extra from their meals than for it to simply be nutritious and scrumptious. Roughly two-thirds of consumers need to be proactive about their well being, and plenty of wish to their diets for enhanced advantages.
- Mindful Proteins makes protein water for hydration and restoration after excessive depth muscle exercises, significantly yoga.
- Goodwolf Feeding Company makes probiotic kefir water that’s a extra approachable various to kombucha.
- LivBar makes natural superfood snack bars which can be additionally free from gluten, GMOs, soy, corn, dairy, and nuts. The bars are available a compostable package deal.
Merchandise for particular diets
Honey Palette wasn’t the one firm creating merchandise for particular diets.
- Josie’s Best makes mixes for pancakes, waffles, muffins, and so forth., that aren’t solely gluten-free however prime eight allergy-free as effectively.
- Wayfarers & Warriors makes beef pemmican for ketogenic diets.
Customers are looking out for the following smartest thing, which has elevated curiosity in meals and flavors from around the globe. Hibiscus is listed as an “up and coming” taste for each cold and warm drinks on Kerry’s 2019 Taste Charts.
- Le Casserole Gourmet makes HibisBloom, a brewed hibiscus beverage that’s extra like a juice than a tea.
- Mathilde’s Kitchen is one other Portland meals cart transferring into the packaged beverage area with their hibiscus flower ginger brew.
Lastly, CBD continues to make its method into meals and beverage merchandise, regardless that the regulatory scenario continues to be a muddle.
Because the meals trade works to innovate to satisfy client calls for, corporations like these are those to look at.