Categories: Travel

Trump administration freezes new FEMA catastrophe deployments throughout DHS shutdown

This web page was created programmatically, to learn the article in its unique location you may go to the hyperlink bellow:
https://www.cnn.com/2026/02/18/politics/trump-dhs-fema-travel-restriction
and if you wish to take away this text from our website please contact us


The Trump administration has ordered the Federal Emergency Management Agency to droop the deployment of lots of of assist employees to disaster-torn areas across the US whereas the Department of Homeland Security is shut down, based on sources and inner messages obtained by CNN.

The new edict comes despite the fact that most deployments are paid for by a Disaster Relief Fund that isn’t affected by the shutdown.

One inner message to FEMA leaders on Tuesday mentioned DHS, which oversees the company, has “directed FEMA to stop all travel.” The order took impact Wednesday.

Any journey to areas nonetheless recovering from extreme storms will now require sign-off from leaders at DHS, which oversees FEMA.

More than 300 FEMA catastrophe responders have been getting ready for upcoming assignments however instructed to face down, together with some who’re at the moment at a coaching facility, based on the company messages.

FEMA staffers already engaged on main restoration efforts — just like the one which’s nonetheless taking place in southern states hit by Hurricane Helene two years in the past — will keep within the subject and might’t return residence except their project is ending, based on the messages. For now, no new personnel can be part of or relieve them with out specific approval from DHS.

“If we can’t get people to Florida or North Carolina to help validate damages from Helene, we can’t approve funding for those projects,” one FEMA official, who requested to not be recognized, instructed CNN. “If we can’t staff a Disaster Recovery Center in Washington State or Alaska, how can people get help with their assistance applications?”

DHS issued a press release attributed to a FEMA spokesperson saying the restrictions on journey are “not a choice but are necessary to comply with federal law.” The assertion says, “FEMA travel related to active disasters is not cancelled.”

“While some non-essential activities will be paused or scaled back, FEMA remains committed to supporting communities and responding to incidents like Hurricane Helene,” the assertion says.

Weeks earlier than the shutdown, amid efforts to overtake FEMA and minimize prices, DHS leaders had been discussing journey restrictions, two sources acquainted with the matter instructed CNN.

Disaster restoration work and journey are sometimes funded by FEMA’s Disaster Relief Fund, which is a separate pool of cash appropriated by Congress and never affected by the present lapse in DHS funding, a number of sources mentioned. As of December, the DRF had roughly $7 billion accessible.

“So it’s not because the money isn’t there,” a FEMA supply instructed CNN.

Michael Coen, former FEMA chief of employees below the Obama and Biden administrations, was important of the transfer, telling CNN, “They are desperate to show consequences of the shutdown, but the DRF is not affected by the lapse in appropriation. Year two and it’s still amateur hour at DHS as illustrated by this micromanagement and reckless disregard for communities recovering from FEMA supported disasters.”

It stays unclear how a lot the journey freeze may disrupt catastrophe restoration efforts throughout the nation.

One senior official, talking on situation of anonymity out of concern of reprisal, doubted the order would forestall FEMA from responding to a sudden, catastrophic catastrophe as a result of DHS has the pliability to reauthorize these deployments.

“Ultimately it’s not a huge blow yet, but just another measure that makes it harder for survivors to get the help they need,” one other high-ranking FEMA official instructed CNN. “It’s yet another way they continue to bleed us out and kill the mission.”

The journey restrictions are much like one other strict coverage put in place by Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem final 12 months, which requires her private approval for any spending over $100,000. That rule has led to an enormous backlog of FEMA catastrophe and emergency preparedness funding that’s nonetheless awaiting her approval, inflicting widespread frustration amongst members of Congress and state officers.

FEMA and the sewage spill

The journey freeze comes after President Donald Trump pledged that FEMA would play a “key role” in a federal response to the large sewage spill within the Potomac River, whereas criticizing Maryland Democrats, notably Gov. Wes Moore.

Following the president’s remarks, Noem tweeted that “Democrats in Congress have shut down @FEMA funding — leaving our hard working employees to work without pay — yet FEMA is now stepping in to coordinate cleanup of one of the largest raw sewage spills in U.S. history.”

So far, nevertheless, FEMA has deployed few, if any, assets to help with the sewage spill, based on three company officers. FEMA’s each day briefing on Wednesday indicated it was nonetheless “monitoring” the state of affairs.

Trump appeared to make clear his feedback on Truth Social Tuesday, urging native officers in Maryland, Virginia, and DC to “get to work, IMMEDIATELY,” including, “if they can’t do the job, they have to call me and ask, politely, to get it fixed.”

In a letter Wednesday night, DC Mayor Muriel Bowser adopted up on Trump’s provide, asking the president to declare the sewage spill a serious catastrophe – a designation that will unlock federal help.

Meanwhile, Moore on Wednesday accused Trump of mendacity and placing individuals’s well being in danger, saying, “This sewage pipe that he is talking about is on federal land and over these past four weeks the Trump-Vance administration has failed to act.”

The governor mentioned blaming Maryland is “asinine. It is disingenuous, absurd, and politically motivated.”

This story has been up to date with extra particulars.

CNN’s Aleena Fayaz contributed to this report.


This web page was created programmatically, to learn the article in its unique location you may go to the hyperlink bellow:
https://www.cnn.com/2026/02/18/politics/trump-dhs-fema-travel-restriction
and if you wish to take away this text from our website please contact us

fooshya

Share
Published by
fooshya

Recent Posts

Greece Journey Advisory | Journey.State.gov

This web page was created programmatically, to learn the article in its unique location you…

2 minutes ago

Daniel Radcliffe Doesn’t Need His Son to Know He Performed Harry Potter. At Least Not But.

This web page was created programmatically, to learn the article in its unique location you…

9 minutes ago

Inaspect UND’s effort to maintain Bennett Zmolek wholesome for the ‘greatest video games’ – Grand Forks Herald

This web page was created programmatically, to learn the article in its unique location you'll…

11 minutes ago

5 Blues recognised for reaching 100 Premier League video games | Information | Official Website

This web page was created programmatically, to learn the article in its authentic location you'll…

13 minutes ago

Lifestyle Center Coming to Valley Ranch

This web page was created programmatically, to learn the article in its authentic location you…

15 minutes ago

Jonathan Silbert: Insights – LENSCRATCH

This web page was created programmatically, to learn the article in its authentic location you…

18 minutes ago