Should you’ve by no means tried the scrumptious decadence that could be a Satan’s Meals Cake, drop every little thing. Proper now. And make this cake. Each layer is deeply chocolaty, dense and moist and frosted with the creamiest, most flavorful chocolate buttercream. This can be a chocolate cake lover’s dream and worthy of any event (even when that event is staying at house watching Netflix on a Friday night time in your sweatpants).
Satan’s Meals Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Oh goodness, pals. I’m so excited to share this recipe with you at this time. Since Halloween is only a stone’s throw away, I believed it could be enjoyable and cheeky to develop a Satan’s Meals Cake recipe for GVD — however what I didn’t understand is simply how a lot I’d LOVE it. Like, can’t stress sufficient the quantity of affection I really feel for this chocolate cake. It’s every little thing I desire a chocolate cake to be always and extra. The moist, dense cake layers. The graceful, wealthy chocolate buttercream frosting. Each chunk sinfully decadent and scrumptious. It’s dessert heaven (pun very a lot meant).
Satan’s Meals Cake vs. Chocolate Cake
Earlier than we dive deeper into this cake state of affairs and what it entails, let’s take a step again and focus on what, precisely, is Satan’s Meals Cake? It’s thought of to be the chocolate counterpart to Angel Meals Cake (I used to be at this time years outdated after I realized this, and it’s a revelation — after all! This makes a lot sense!), and it’s primarily the identical factor as a traditional chocolate cake however with a deeper chocolate taste and darker coloration. Should you get Satan’s Meals Cake from a bakery, it’s prone to be denser and moister than a traditional chocolate cake and made with extra chocolate or cocoa powder.
Within the case of my recipe, I used Dutch-process cocoa powder for a richer, deeper chocolate taste and coloration (see recipe notes for more information) and paired it with a darkish chocolate buttercream frosting for that over-the-top chocolaty-ness. Cake lover, chocolate lover, dessert lover — no matter you’re, this cake + you = MFEO.
Ideas for the Greatest Chocolate Cake
And now for the information! I’m nonetheless a piece in progress relating to cake-baking (as you could recall in my Lemon Poppy Seed Cake post), however I’m studying extra with apply and, dare I say it, I’m even having FUN making CAKES. I by no means thought I’d see the day.
ANYWAY, listed below are my ideas:
1. Use these trusty bake-even strips for even cake layers! They assist the desserts bake up with out a domed high, so you’ll be able to skip slicing off the domes and losing additional cake and slicing all of them lopsided and such. Been there, accomplished that.
2. Be completely positive to observe this recipe precisely as written — use room temperature elements the place famous, and no substitutes on elements (particularly ones as famous within the recipe). I can’t suggest any swaps on this recipe since I don’t know the way they’ll carry out, and a few elements are used for very particular causes (just like the Dutch-process cocoa powder; extra on that within the recipe) so adjustments may have an effect on the end result. I don’t imply to be a Debbie Downer; I simply need to be certain you don’t undergo the trouble of constructing this cake and it doesn’t end up the way you wished it to!
3. You possibly can bake this cake in three 8-inch spherical pans, two 9-inch spherical pans or in a 13×9-inch pan, however for those who bake it within the latter two choices, know that you simply would possibly find yourself with additional frosting (not essentially a foul state of affairs to be in, extra simply an FYI).
4. I discover refrigerated cake layers simpler to frost, so I’ll let my cake layers cool utterly, then wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at the least 2 hours (or as much as in a single day). The subsequent day, I’ll unwrap the cake layers and frost them chilly. This isn’t crucial, however I’m all the time recreation for something that makes cake adorning simpler for me.
Now go forth, bake this Satan’s Meals Cake and transport your self to dessert heaven. So chocolaty. So scrumptious. SO PUNNY.
P.S. Extra layer desserts!
A decadently fudgy chocolate cake with a clean, deep chocolaty buttercream frosting. Each chunk of this Satan’s Meals Cake is sinfully scrumptious!
For the cake:
- 3/Four cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/Four cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/Four cup Dutch-process cocoa powder*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
For the chocolate buttercream frosting:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- Four 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/Four cup pure unsweetened or Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Massive pinch of salt
- Warmth oven to 350°F. Grease and flour (or spray with baking spray) backside and sides of three 8-inch spherical cake pans.
- First, make the cake: In a big mixing bowl utilizing an electrical hand mixer, beat 3/Four cup butter, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt an excellent 5 minutes on medium pace till very fluffy and light-weight.
- In a separate bowl, whisk or sift collectively flour, 3/Four cup Dutch-process cocoa powder and baking powder till very effectively combined and no lumps stay.
- Beat eggs (on medium pace) one by one into butter combination, beating effectively after every addition. Add one-third of flour combination to batter, then add 3/Four cup milk, one other third of the flour combination, the remaining 3/Four cup milk and the two teaspoons vanilla, and the remaining flour combination, stirring to mix after every addition and scraping sides and backside of bowl sometimes with a spatula. Divide batter evenly between ready pans.
- Bake desserts 30 to 35 minutes or till a toothpick inserted within the heart comes out clear. Cool desserts in pans on a cooling rack 10 minutes, then take away from cake pans and funky utterly on cooling racks.
- In the meantime, make the frosting: In a big mixing bowl utilizing an electrical hand mixer or within the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat 1 cup butter on excessive pace Four full minutes till pale, clean and really creamy. Whisk or sift collectively powdered sugar and three/Four cup cocoa powder till very effectively combined. On low pace, steadily beat in sugar-cocoa combination, then 1/2 cup milk, 2 teaspoons vanilla and pinch of salt. Beat on low pace 1 minute, then improve to medium-high pace and beat for a full Three to Four minutes till frosting is clean, gentle, fluffy and creamy. Add extra milk or powdered sugar to skinny or thicken frosting as desired.
- Place one totally cooled cake layer on a cake stand or serving plate. Prime with roughly 1 cup of frosting, in dollops; gently unfold to cowl total high of cake layer. Prime with second cake layer. Repeat course of, topping and spreading with one other roughly 1 cup frosting. Prime with third cake layer. Frost high and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Cowl with a cake dome or upside-down plate till able to serve.
- *It’s necessary to make use of Dutch-process cocoa powder within the cake. Dutch-process cocoa powder is cocoa powder processed with alkali, a potassium answer that neutralizes its acidity (it additionally renders a richer, deeper chocolate taste). Due to this fact, you might want to use baking powder to perform because the acid part within the recipe to leaven the cake. Don’t use common/pure cocoa powder for the cake! Here is my favorite Dutch-process cocoa powder.
- It’s also possible to bake this cake in two 9-inch spherical cake pans or in a 13×9-inch pan. Notice that you simply may not find yourself utilizing the entire frosting for those who make this adjustment.
- If the tops of your desserts are domed, use a pointy serrated knife to chop off the domes earlier than stacking in layers. OR, use bake-even strips.
- For finest outcomes, use a large offset spatula to frost cake. For clear, clean sides, I used a bench scraper and gently rotated the cake stand whereas holding the bench scraper alongside the perimeters.
Key phrases: chocolate cake, darkish chocolate cake, Dutch course of cocoa frosting, darkish chocolate frosting