Throughout a gathering of over 130 college students, lecturers, and relations, the National Museum of Bermuda [NMB] revealed the 18 finalists of the Dr. Reg Grundy Annual Youth Pictures Competitors: Present Us Your Bermuda.
The event was marked with a prize giving ceremony and exhibit opening at Commissioner’s Home.
In reminiscence of Dr. Reg Grundy, whose photographic legacy and fervour for Bermuda stay on in his work, Mrs. Pleasure Grundy and the Nationwide Museum of Bermuda established the Dr. Reg Grundy Annual Youth Pictures Competitors.
Open to all native pictures fanatics aged 7 – 18, the competitors, which opened on October 28 and closed on November 15, was designed to encourage the subsequent technology of photographers and encourage an appreciation for Bermuda’s pure and cultural atmosphere and a need to guard it.
When requested concerning the competitors, Mrs. Grundy stated: “I used to be personally thrilled to see the keenness with which the faculties, college students, lecturers, mother and father and the Cupboard Workplace took half in our newly created Dr. Reg Grundy Annual Youth Photographic Competitors.
“It was the fruits of my husband’s dream for the youngsters of Bermuda. The usual for an inaugural yr was exceptionally excessive. I look ahead with pleasure to subsequent yr’s occasion.”
Native judges Antoine Hunt, Photographer & Artist, Dr. Deborah Atwood, NMB Curator, and Chinni Mahadevan, Reg Grundy Photographic Libraries Curator, had a attempting time selecting finalists from almost 600 submissions, submitted by 29 completely different faculties in Bermuda.
College students submitted images underneath the next themes: Bermuda Life, Bermuda Buildings and Bermuda Wildlife/Nature and had been chosen primarily based on three age classes, 7-10, 11-14 and 15-18.
Winners obtained Iron Youngsters Accounts at Clarien Financial institution [amounts of $500, $300, and $200 based on age group], runners up obtained $150 reward playing cards to Brown & Co. shops and the college with essentially the most submissions – Heron Bay Main – gained a $1,500 reward certificates to AF Smith for college provides.
Marcus DaCosta, of Mount Saint Agnes Academy, gained his age group [15-18] within the Bermuda Wildlife class and his entry was additionally chosen as Greatest in Present, successful not solely a $500 Iron Youngsters account but additionally a CANON EOS REBEL T7 DSLR digital camera with 18-55mm & 55-300mm Canon Lens and a tripod, all generously donated by Mrs. Grundy.
Cupboard Workplace Minister Wayne Furbert, accompanied by the finalists, opened the Present Us Your Bermuda exhibit which shows all finalist images.
The exhibit shall be on show on the primary ground of Commissioner’s Home for the subsequent six months. The finalists’ work is on the NMB website and also will revealed in MARITimes, NMB’s biannual journal, in addition to on the Reg Grundy Wildlife web site.
Elena Sturdy, Government Director of NMB, acknowledged: “It was a profitable first yr with so many native college students demonstrating their artistic abilities. The caliber of the submissions was extraordinary, making it difficult for the judges to pick out the finalists.
“Congratulations to all who participated. For individuals who didn’t place, please don’t be discouraged: you’ve time to work in your craft and share the way you see the world round you by submitting to subsequent yr’s competitors.”
Faculty with the best share of submissions:
Bermuda Wildlife/Nature: Age Class: 7-10
- Alisa Ok.M. Lightbourne, Somerset Main Faculty – Runner Up
- Jaylen Basden, Heron Bay Main Faculty – Winner
Bermuda Wildlife/Nature: Age Class: 11-14
- Reilly Durfy, Saltus Grammar Faculty – Runner Up
- Caiden Millett, Somersfield Academy – Winner
Bermuda Wildlife/Nature: Age Class: 15-18
- Mia Hazlewood, Warwick Academy – Runner Up
- Marcus DaCosta, Mount Saint Agnes Academy – Winner
Bermuda Life: Age Class: 7-10
- Lara Nicholson Pavkovic, Warwick Academy – Runner Up
- Seri Fisher, Warwick Academy – Winner
Bermuda Life: Age Class: 11-14
- Starr Bowen, Warwick Academy – Runner Up
- Arima Turner, Bermuda Excessive Faculty – Winner
Bermuda Life: Age Class: 15-18
- Genevieve Lau, Bermuda Excessive Faculty for Women – Runner Up
- Tre’certain Nanette, James Madison Highschool [Homeschool] – Winner
Bermuda Buildings: Age Class: 7-10
- Cristiano Hizon, West Pembroke Main – Runner Up
- Ori Shrem, Somersfield Academy – Winner
Bermuda Buildings: Age Class: 11-14
- Tegan Gannon-Trott, Bermuda Centre for Inventive Studying – Runner Up
- Schuyler Younger, Somersfield Academy – Winner
Bermuda Buildings: Age Class: 15-18
- D’Jae Gilbert, CedarBridge Academy – Runner Up
- Shanya Simmons, Warwick Academy – Winner
Greatest in Present
- Marcus DaCosta, Mount Saint Agnes Academy – Bermuda Wildlife/Nature