As we shut 2019, I need to want you all a beautiful 2020. As we start a brand new decade, it appears I’m doing extra reflection, about what I’ve realized and loved from the previous years, whereas seeking to future alternatives. It is a nice dialog to have with your loved ones for those who haven’t had the possibility to speak in regards to the stuff you loved, and the stuff you wish to change.
In researching for a well timed matter, I discovered this from Michael Josephson, creator and founding father of the Josephson Institute, identified for his work in character schooling. His phrases gave me inspiration for the New 12 months, and I provide them to you for overview. I hope that as we mannequin our values and construct our household character all of us would possibly combine a few of these factors.
• I’m a piece in progress. However the course of could be both progress or decay. I select progress, understanding there’ll at all times be a spot between who I’m and who I need to be, and I can do one thing to shut that hole.
• It’s simpler to speak about integrity than to stay it. The true check is my willingness to do the fitting factor even when it prices greater than I need to pay. I’ve realized that regardless of how I behave, some individuals might be mean-spirited, dishonest, irresponsible and unkind, but when I struggle hearth with hearth, all I’ll find yourself with is the ashes of my very own integrity.
• Character is extra necessary than fame and extra necessary than competence. As Lincoln stated: Character is the tree, fame is the shadow. It takes years to construct up belief and solely seconds to destroy it. I tend to evaluate myself by my greatest intentions and most noble acts, however, ultimately, I could also be judged by my final worst act.
• I can’t at all times management what’s going to occur to me, however I’ve rather a lot to say about what occurs in me. Ache is inevitable, however struggling is non-compulsory. If I can change the best way I take into consideration my life — together with getting older — I can change my life. Attitudes not solely change my life, they’re contagious and so they can change the lives of individuals I work together with. Attitudes, each good and dangerous, are contagious.
• Kindness isn’t straightforward and it doesn’t come naturally. It takes a conscientious effort to be sort, however that kindness modifications lives. The identical is true for 2 different actually necessary states of thoughts: gratitude and forgiveness. All of those virtues require acts of will.
• Happiness is deeper and extra enduring than both pleasure or enjoyable. I’ve realized what’s enjoyable or pleasurable is just not at all times good for me and what’s good for me is just not at all times enjoyable or pleasurable. I’ve additionally realized I’m usually as comfortable as I’m prepared to be. Lastly, I’ve realized the surest highway to happiness is sweet relationships and one of the simplest ways to have good relationships is to be an excellent individual.
As we begin the New 12 months, might all of us be challenged to enhance our outlook on life and attempt to reinforce how we method the challenges in life. With households, might conversations revolve on how we will make a distinction each with these we love and people in our group and what values are actually necessary to us. Could your 2020 be full of alternatives and blessings.
Melinda Hill is an OSU Extension Household & Client Sciences Educator and could also be reached at 330-264-8722.